Monday, January 10, 2005

I lost a friend, Palestine gains a president.

I'd like to congradulate, Mahmoud Abbas on his victory in Palestine's recent election. With him comes the hope of peace. Many people think it is a given, some people think things will not change. I tend to be on the more positive side, though I have some misgivings.

Hamas and Hezbollah never listened to Arafat, and I think that was his downfall. I really hope that both Iran and Syria for once do the right thing and pressure these two groups to follow President Abbas' lead and become incorperated into the Security Forces. If this happens, he should be able to exert more control over them. There by eliminating...or atleast diminishing the threat of one of these groups derailing, yet again, the peace process that so many have stuggled so hard to keep moving.

I also hope, for the Isrealis, that in their next election they also elect a more moderate person. The peace process is a two way street. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has been getting better, even going against his own party in order to make some concessions.

Former President Clinton gave a speech about a year or so ago. Now, I never liked him as President, but this speech is just amazing and he makes some very interesting points. He says that the old people on both sides of the issue won't bend, so the young continue to die due to their lack of being able to compromise.

I just spent two hours trying to find a link to that speech. What a waste of time.

Also today, I found out that one of my soldiers that worked for me, on and off, for the past couple of years died in Iraq by an IED. He was such a good kid, I'm really going to miss him.


2 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger leap_frog said...

Bryan P, I'm so sorry for your loss of your friend. My heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones.
Stay safe.
<>

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger BryanP said...

Thanks a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home