Sunday, February 20, 2005

One life taken, one life given.

My first day in Iraq was an eventful one for my unit.

The Ashura festival is ongoing and my battalion is tasked, along with the IPs and ING with protected the Kadimaya(sorry if it is spelled incorrectly) shrine which is in our sector. Last year, the terrorists where able to explode a number of bombs within the shrine itself. This time we did not allow them to get anywhere near the shrine. The help of the IPs and ING was immense.

Because of this they were only able to explode a bomb on the very outskirts of the town. Sadly, in that bombing, we lost one of our own. He was a good man, I did not know him personally but from everything I heard he was one of our best.

Hours later, one of my soldiers learned that his wife gave birth to a baby boy. The soldier I mentioned above gave his life so that this baby, who was born hours after his death can be free to live life as he wishes.

I hope no one forgets his sacrifice. I never will.

1 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Blogger DangerGirl said...

To your fallen brother:

"May angels sing thee to thy rest sweet prince"

We will not forget, Bryan! We will not forget!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home